Saturday, August 15, 2009

Green Bay Packers: Olde City Stadium Sign


This is the sign at the sight of the Olde City Stadium (New City Stadium ... is now Lambeau Field). This is the football stadium on the site of East High School. It's on the east side of Green Bay just around the corner from "The Jo".
Teams used the locker rooms inside the high school, which were so inadequate opposing teams often changed in their hotel rooms.
The Green Bay Packers played here from 1933 - 1956. They moved from this site under threat from the NFL. The Packers were to permanently movie to Milwaukee if their facilities didn't improve.
In 1933 there were 6,000 seats and by 1956 there were 25,000.

1 comment:

  1. I used to sneak into the games in "the good old days" at this stadium. Just visited the new one yesterday with DH and grandson, who were mightily impressed. Check my blog on Monday, and you'll see a picture of two Packer alums with my grandson.


    I'm vacationing on an island in Wisconsin and get a very poor internet signal. I'll be back whenever I can!

    ReplyDelete